Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Mother's Love for her Daughter

My mother became very spiritual after she became sick. She didn't sweat the small stuff. Meditating, finding peace with her inner self, and accepting things for what they were became the new her. Every time we spoke on the phone she would ask if she could read me a quote, she would say "Do you want to hear this quote?" I would say yes sometimes and the rest of the time say, not right now. She marked those quotes, I found them with arrow stickers in the books she read. 

After my divorce from my ex, I felt hopeless and lost. I was with him for 11 years, from 14 years old. He became my life. I was mourning the loss of "he and I=us", I wanted to go to Florida, mom was worried someone would steal me and she insisted on coming along. We had a great time despite my sour mood most of the time but she understood, she was good like that.

 For the next 2 years, on and off I struggled with alcohol and poor choices. She stood by my side. Even after getting a D.U.I. she was there for me, as was my father. I attended drunk driver classes and some therapy and finally picked myself up. I went on dates by myself and for myself and one ngiht at Barnes & Noble I bought a book, I'll Always Be Your Daughter: A Fable for Mothers & Daughters by Carol Lynn Pearson. I gave it to my mother and she cried. It touched her and my father. I felt they understood me a little better after that. I have that book now, haven't read it since I bought it for her, one day when I am stronger and don't cry as much at the thought of her I will read it. I recommend the book as a gift for any day. It's a fable of how two trees beautifully chronicles a daughter's journey to adulthood and the ever-changing  complex, and powerfully loving relationship between a mother and daughter. A celebration of the love between mothers and daughters.



No comments:

Post a Comment