Sunday, July 21, 2013

Domain names in 1999

Domaining in 1999 wasn't as saturated as it is today where everyone and their mother has a portfolio of names they want to unload for crazy money. One of the first names I wanted to register was friendsofthefriendless.com and it was taken by a band.

Friends of the friendless was something from and episode of I love lucy where its lucy's birthday and she thinks no one remembered it and goes off to take a walk and while in the park a group called friends of the friendless aproach her and she joins them and they march off to ricky's nightclub where she gives him and the audience an earful and then realize that he had thrown her a surpise birthday party.

Why did I want to register such a name? In 99 before myspace and facebook. The "it" thing were chat rooms and message groups/forums. I was thinking of developing a community for those who lived "in" the net without an outside social life. Ha! If only I'd been more created I could have been the creator of such a thing as facebook way back then.  But seriously, like the hman species everything gradually became what it was meant to be and friendsofthefriendless.com is still registered by someone other than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment