Saturday, May 4, 2013

Frenemies exist: From elementary school on...

I spent most of my school years crying, wondering why me. In elementary school I  was picked on for being different, for having brown eyes and brown hair. It became so hard for me to develop true friendships because of this. I was called a lesbian and I never knew why. I never acted in a "lesbionic" way, I wasn't a tom boy. In fact I had boyfriends who I held hands with during recess. Girls who I thought were my best friend turned on me when more agressive girls took leadership and I was left stranded.

In Jr. High school, I strayed from such friends and encountered a different kind. One friend would call me "scrappy" in front of everyone, she would constantly put me down, and yet I felt bad when she would stop being my friend every few days. She was a bully, I stayed friends with her for 13 years or so and finally began to stand up for myself and put myself first. She was friends with a lot of people, I guess I was her punching bag. I wish I was stronger back then but I actually was, I made it through and I didn't let anyone break me.

My sister is another one who abused me verbally and emotionally to get her way. She continued to do it until I became strong enough to speak up and defend myself. I promised myself I would not allow anyone to walk over me ever again and its hard because you never truly know another person's intentions. Today I don't allow anyone or anything make me feel unsafe, I remove them or myself from the situation and keep moving on with my life without letting anyone affect me. I got me a pretty strong backbone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment